Monday, August 30, 2010

Going...Going...Gone

One of my first jobs in high school was working in a public library. I loved being surrounded by books. The smell, the feel of them in your hand - and yes, I was a freak and even loved putting them in correct order. Once I moved to NYC, I could get lost strolling through a bookstore - looking for that book that would call to me to read it. But that was years ago before our society was over-run with so many digital choices.  From music to books to games and the internet (blogging, facebook, surfing) - all those things that would surprise us if we added up the hours spent and truly realized how much time was lost from our days.


Another major book store in NYC has announced a closing and I can't help but feel it is an epidemic that is eating away at our country. I'll be the first to admit that I shop online and download digital books, but it's still heart breaking to see these lifelines to words closing down. Do a search (again - online) and just see how many have closed in the past five years all across the country. As someone that is trying to get his own books published, I can't help but wonder if there will be real stores left to make a purchase (let alone do a book signing) by the time I get to that point. It would be pretty hard to sign a kindle. (PS: I didn't blog this weekend as I've started a new novel and it captivated every spare moment I had. Sometimes the creative process can grab you when you least expect it. And now I have to work that much harder and quicker so that I can get myself in to a store. I'm already missing out on Oprah's book club. I don't want to miss out on a real book store. Go buy a book in a store today!)      

No comments:

Post a Comment