Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Through the Eyes of Others

The media landscape is peppered with hot-button topics lately to try and force Americans to make a stand on as many issues as possible. Perhaps it's because elections will be coming up in the fall. Or maybe it's simply that the 24 hour 'news channels' need to create as much hype as possible to keep us tuning in each day. 


 If you go to your favorite social networking site, you can see 'friends' turning on each other as discussions become heated over any given topic. Everyone has an opinion: and naturally - their opinion must be right.


There are times I try to stay quiet, put away the soap box and chose to bite my tongue. (And of course, there are other times I can't stay quiet.) Like everyone, I too have my own views on each of these - but I don't think it's something that needs to tear at the fabric of our country. Unfortunately: I think it ultimately may be doing just that.

It must be one of the reasons I enjoy writing fiction so much. I get the chance to get into the heads of characters (who may not believe as I do) and write what they feel. It's truly liberating to be able to do this...and for just a moment, see the world through someone else's eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment