Thursday, August 12, 2010

Traveling

I love to travel. Only I never really knew it growing up because as a child living in Texas - traveling meant getting in the car and taking a road trip to yet another town in the same state or worse - Oklahoma. We also took a family trip to Colorado (which I greatly enjoyed), but once I moved to NYC to become a famous Broadway actor (didn't happen) - I finally began to truly see the country.  All thanks to a little something called "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." That's right. I was one of those green things way back in the late 80s/early 90s and got to travel North America - and even Guam!  All wearing a huge smelly costume.



I played state fairs, theme parks, malls, tractor pulls, car shows...you name it - in their heyday - the turtles were there. 

In one of those mindless exercises, I went through and counted the amount of states I visited. 

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington, and Washington, DC.





Since then, I've discovered the joy of getting out of the country (preferably on a cruise ship) and have visited several as well.  It's amazing to see other places - how people live and what people call home.  As a writer, I used my travels across our great country in one of my novels - a road trip of friends traveling from New Mexico to Maine. Write what you know - isn't that writers are told? And I definitely got to know our countryside through the eyes of a mask wearing turtle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment