Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Stuck

I have come to a complete standstill in my writing.

That has never happened to me before. I've been writing since I was a child and have always plowed right through.  I've written musicals (score and book), poetry, short stories, 3 novels and I’m working on my 4th.  I started this novel with an outline that poured out of me in a way I’d never experienced before. All because of a dream I had that started the first chapter of the book. However, midway through the book – the characters start to tell me where they wanted to go and the book took a twist that I didn't expect when I started on the journey.  Now my characters are left in limbo like they are on the island in “Lost” or something and I don’t know how to get them out of their own way.

Perhaps it’s because I’ve been sick the past two weeks and it’s zapped all creative energy I had. (At least that’s what I’m going to hope – even though spending more time at home and away from work should/could have given me much more time at the computer.) In the meantime, I open the file on my computer … reread past chapters praying that will spark something to send me down my next path.

I’ve heard of so many people having writer’s block and I always thought it was odd as stories are going through my head constantly. (Does that sound pompous or schitzo?) 


But now as I stare at a blank screen – and though I’ve had some poetry and prose published, shows produced on stage even, I can finally say I must really be an author to have hit this wall.

Maybe my main character will need to deal with how numb he has become to his surroundings which paralyze him from doing anything. 

Nah – that’s just me. 

2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that. My partner always asks, well, what does the character want that (s)he can't get? What's the obstacle? The narrative is a wave of yearning and getting and yearning and getting, because sometimes we yearn for the wrong things and have to look elsewhere. Maybe do a think-session on where the character is in the wave?

    ReplyDelete