Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Raining Men!

And it IS at the Palace Theater in NYC. Tonight I caught the Broadway version of a show I loved when I saw it in London...and what a great time I had! The trend continues to take movies and turn them into Broadway musicals, usually because audiences will already know the story AND there IS a story. Or as Mamma Mia! and Rock of Ages has done, create a story around a string of songs the audience already knows. In this case, I don't think the masses saw Priscilla: Queen of the Desert when it was a movie, but it was a gay cult hit from down under. Now this Aussie hit is being introduced to many more people via a big, flashy musical where audiences can enjoy the fact they know so many of the disco songs being sung. (FYI: Flashy may be an understatement there.) I believe there is enough room in NY for many types of shows...and sometimes, one needs to let loose and just have fun. That's exactly what can be done in this show with outrageous costumes and songs that will take you back to a certain time in your life. Plus - deep down the show has heart...though we're only allowed to see glimpses of it through the glitz and glam. Gays (like everyone else) come in all shapes, sizes and ways of existing. Some are over the top bitchy people. Some are in committed relationships raising children. This one shows a part of gay life that enjoys doing drag and lip-syncing to divas. (And in this case: the divas are three women singing behind the men.) I'm not one to put on women's clothes and belt out a tune, but I sure can enjoy watching others do it. When we left the theater in London, I recall having the best time - but saying to Anthony I didn't think American reviewers would take to it the same way they have in Australia and London. I wasn't wrong as the show opened Sunday in New York to reviews that ranged from grumpy reviewers who grew weary by the end of too much over-stimulation to a few that realized audiences would be able to sit back and enjoy it. Of All the reviews I read, Howard Shapiro in the Philadelphia Inquirer said it best with this: "Just give yourself over to its giddy theatrical turns. It is, after all, about acceptance."

No comments:

Post a Comment