Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Simple Choice Can Change it All


I just returned from a very relaxing vacation in beautiful Boothbay Harbor, Maine. There is a reason that place is known as ‘vacationland’ – because you can feel your body relax and let go. I was there 22 summers ago – but not for vacation. I worked there doing summer stock theater back when I was a performer. Sometimes vacation gives us time to take stock of our lives. The last 22 years flashed in front of me and I noticed all those choices made that would send me down a different path. I can pinpoint the moment I made a decision to turn down an international tour of a show and I often wondered if that one choice was what eventually led me to leaving that business or would my life had been different. Not that I’m not completely happy with where my life has gone in those years. I took more twists and turns on my road through corporate America to other creative endeavors, wonderful friendships and relationships I’ve made along the way to where I am now having just celebrated 11 years with my other-half last week. 
Those are the big choices we look at in life. But there are small ones we make daily as well. Ever hear of someone who does the exact same thing every morning, but one day decides to make a change and it averts them from an accident they would have been involved in? Or a person who doesn’t get on a plane and then reads of its crash in the paper? What daily choices are you making that are affecting you or are you simply going through life? I hope to think I’m making the right ones. I realize there is room for stumbling and sometimes failure – but I think I have to make the choice to give it a try. As my favorite Lincoln quote says: “In the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment