Monday, September 26, 2011

Get Your Voice Heard


Have you ever picked up a book by the <insert latest/greatest writer here>, finished the book and thought to yourself "Wow...it is awesome this person was discovered and got their voice heard"? We hear amazing stories all the time of certain writers that were down on the luck, standing in the unemployment line, tired of the endless rejections when that one person finally took notice of them. Or they got the call from Oprah. Or their manuscript was pulled from the slush pile and published. These are awesome stories to hear. But for every one of those, there are endless others out there you may never hear from. 

This is one of the reasons I'm so inspired by the change in the publishing industry. Yes, I've heard the reason why it is the end of the world as we know it: there are no gatekeepers to tell you what is good and what is bad; you have to weed through some 'not so good' stuff to find a gem. But there are plenty of traditionally published books I've read that I actually thought "who read this and said it was good?" The same goes with some big Hollywood movies I've seen and questioned how they ever got made. But for me, the point is publishing is catching up with Indie Filmmaking and Indie artist recording their own music. And I have to say: I'm reading some pretty amazing stuff coming out of those small presses and indie authors that I may never have gotten a chance to read.

We indie authors have a tough road ahead of us in getting the word out about our work, but authors are doing it. I'm watching it happen everyday and seeing amazing success stories. Back to my original thought about the latest/greatest writer...I feel that way reading certain indie authors: "Wow....it is awesome this person got their voice heard." The difference is they did not get to the masses through a national marketing campaign where you see their face on the side of a bus or a table full of their books when you walk into a large chain bookstore. 

But I'm lucky I found them: and just maybe others will find them too. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration. I needed that about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know sometimes, Rick, it can feel like an uphill battle...but keep forging on!

    ReplyDelete