Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Author Spotlight: Tarek Refaat


Tarek Refaat was recommended by a mutual twitter author friend and so I began to follow him. It goes to show the power of twitter that can unite people in the US with those in Egypt.

I really appreciate you joining me on my blog. Can you tell me when you started writing?
I began to write at a very young age. I used to like to have a pencil and a piece of paper with me to write what I’d see, but I began to realize I enjoy writing in my later teen years. I began to actually think of taking it seriously a bit after my mid-twenties. I've ventured into several genres, especially that I write in Arabic & in English.

What genre do you write in?
I've written Comedy, Romance, Articles, Action adventure, historical fiction.  

Did you go the traditional route or indie?
Well I published my first book "Ruptured" (available now) via a traditional Publisher here in Egypt; however I am now checking for a more indie publishing approach.


What is it about an indie approach from that of your current traditional publishing house that interests you?

Well an indie approach keeps you more in control, because you are involved in every detail of the book (however sometimes that does worry me a bit). I already am an IT professional with a full time job, a family man, and doing my masters; so trying to keep everything on track is quite a draining process. But am sure others manage the process. Also it enlightens you on the very different aspects such as the book paper quality, book sizes , covers , etc. For myself, the difference in going indie would be I am more likely to penetrate the English reader major markets which are outside of Egypt such as the US and the UK (while I am physically here in Egypt). That may create another obstacle, but I also believe that can be overcome. 

Are you a print or eBook kind of author?
My book is available both printed and e-books. Here in Egypt there are approximately 1000 copies printed. 

How do you market and promote your books?
Well my marketing and promotion are mostly currently ‘self made’. Since I am trying to give "Ruptured" more exposure outside of Egypt via the e-books, I am mainly attempting to get to know the writing communities, writers, readers and authors. Because of my firm belief that reading is a matter of trust and this comes from good book reviews and followers or word of mouth.

Is there something you would have done differently or a ‘mantra’ you tell yourself?
Nothing specific, but not to let yourself get depressed easily; getting a book out is a hectic process and it takes time!

Anything else you would like to share with us?
I would just like to say that I have come across some great writers such as Evangelina Jo, Lorna Suzuki & Patti Roberts - they are very supportive writers and always try to help you out. People like that help you find your way! I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them for the support! 

2 comments:

  1. Great Interview! I have a copy of "Ruptured" and I can't wait to begin reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed getting to know my friend, Tarek Refaat, a bit better. I agree with you, I too have found the writing community, most especially my twitter friends, to be extremely supportive, friendly and helpful. I wish you much luck and success with your book. I also look forward to reading it. Most especially, I really enjoy our virtual tea together! Best wishes, my friend! : )

    ReplyDelete