Saturday, October 8, 2011

How to React as Day Approaches

Well Read Books Hawthorne, NJ
I am just a few days out from my official book launch and I am a mix of emotions. Each new milestone that occurs puts a huge smile on my face. From the moment the writing part was done to when the design took off - it has been a whirlwind. I recall holding the book for the first time in my hands (which now seems so long ago) to getting in those first reviews. Hearing back from bookstores and other places that wanted to host a book signing event made me giddy with glee that people were interested in my story. And last night, seeing a photo online of one of those stores and the display they had of my books somehow made it all feel real. This week will be the big attempt to get people to switch from asking about the book to purchasing the book and then celebrating the entire process on Thursday night at The Stonewall Inn in NYC. I feel blessed to have so much support by so many people. I feel a sense of "I did it!" - whatever 'it' may be. And I feel nervous as the baby makes its way into the world.

I've been doing several interviews lately and really thinking about what I'm drawn towards in reading and writing. It truly goes back to even my days of directing and producing. I like to give the unexpected and not the tried and true. A protagonist must do X....a story must always finish with Y. 

I can't write that way. 

Nor have I ever directed or produced that way for the stage. I directed the French-themed musical La Cage Aux Folles and set it in The French Quarters of New Orleans, I Do! I Do! covers 50 years of marriage and I moved it to start in the 40s instead of the late 1800s and my vision of directing Kiss of the Spider Woman was more of a prison like guantanamo bay. 

I suppose my vision of religion and sexuality will really show themselves in Well With My Soul. Some will be angry. Some will be moved. Some will toss the book aside. But that's what art is all about. Making people think.

I hope you enjoy the journey as you read my book.

I wanted to end this blog with a few links to some of those interviews I've been doing. So people can get inside of my head just a little more as those asking the questions were so skillful at doing.







5 comments:

  1. Thank you Gregory. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do GREAT, Greg!!! I'm so happy for you!
    XO,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be in NYC this week for your signing at Stonewall. Break a leg, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so great! Thanks so much for all the positive vibes and support!

    ReplyDelete