Monday, October 3, 2011

Music: Singing & Writing

It's a great time to be a singer in America...at least if you can get on reality TV. American Idol. X Factor. The Voice. The Sing-off. America's Got Talent. Am I missing any? As an addict of reality TV, I can't help but notice when something 'works' they all jump on it (from food shows, to decorating, to you name it)! Except writing. They had one for writing songs, but authors of novels can forget it. Who among us could write a novel each week?

I'll admit I do enjoy the music shows, because I enjoy music so much. It has always been a part of my life and even a part of my writing. The title for Well With My Soul is based on the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" which was one of my favorites growing up. In an earlier version of the manuscript, each chapter was a title of a song - but I realized that was probably more for me and less servicing the story - so I cut 'em. But I do still have a playlist that goes along with the book because of the time span it travels from the 70s-90s. Some of those songs are even mentioned at different times throughout.

Recently I read a company will start allowing music to be downloaded with eBooks. I'm not certain that everyone would want to listen to music while reading, so I'm torn about that very idea. But I still wanted to share some of the Well With My Soul playlist for those that enjoy music as much as I do.

Love to Love You Baby - Donna Summer
Loving You - Minnie Riperton
Come To Me - France Jolie
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me - Boy George
Urgent - Foreigner
Bette Davis Eyes -Kim Karnes
Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
Is This Love - Whitesnake
I Need Thee Every Hour - Hymn
Let's Give Them Something to Talk About - Bonnie Raitt
Faithfully - Journey
Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
Losing My Religion - REM
Closer I Am To Fine - Indigo Girls

4 comments:

  1. Love the playlist. Most could be a playlist from my life. "It is Well With My Soul" always gave me chills when singing it in church those few times I attended. It still does. That and "Amazing Grace." Mostly "Amazing Grace" makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rick! "Amazing Grace" is another favorite of mine as well. But "How Great Thou Art" is the one that gets me as it was my dad's favorite hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool playlist! I like the mix of songs but they fit well together. Can't wait to read the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sabrina! Each song tends to make sense for different points (and years) in this book.

    ReplyDelete