Monday, November 7, 2011

Here Lies Greg

Have you ever thought what you wanted your tombstone to say? I don't mean to be morbid thinking about death, but I'm actually thinking more about life. How did you live your life? Did you meet your full potential? Did you give back to others? Were you a kind individual?


As we go along our personal journey, there are so many different types that cross our paths. I've been in management for years and have always told those that report to me to not only bring up issues that they come across, but think of a solution. What can you bring to the table for a problem you identify? How do you think the team can work best to fix it?


There are many in the world who love to point out problems without any offer of a way around it. Then there are those that will share knowledge, give better ways to ascertain a situation, and want you to learn from their mistakes.


I strive to be the latter.


I've met some amazing strangers...STRANGERS who have gone down a similar path to me (either in writing or others jobs I've had) and are so willing to help others along the way. I find that character trait to be remarkable. I could add a long list of names right now that I've come across on twitter and the internet who spend time doing what they love - but also assisting others attempting to do that very thing. What an awesome way to live your life...and I've seen them reaping some wonderful rewards in the process for just being a likable person.


I've learned so much in the past 6-8 months as I ventured into the world of being one of the many indie authors and when I learn something, I try my best to share it. That's just what I think people should do. I want to pay it forward and not tear someone down. Nothing to be gained from competing with a fellow writer and thinking the sandbox isn't large enough for us all to place our pails in and fill them to the brim.


If my tombstone says "Here lies Greg...he paid it forward" - I'd be a very happy corpse.





4 comments:

  1. I think you'll be a happy corpse. I've certainly found you to pay it forward and that hasn't always been my experience with other writers. It quite refreshing to find a group, like you, out there who are willing to help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do that as well, Rick! (And you're great at it.) I've asked on FB and twitter "What do you want your tombstone to say" and I'm seeing great responses to that about what people want it to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to cremated. However, for the sake of discussion, I'd like mine to read "Traci Ford, 1965 - ????, Traci was late for her own funeral, so she's buried somewhere else."

    ReplyDelete