Friday, January 27, 2012

Kreativ Blogger Award

It seems just at the time when you may be feeling overwhelmed or need a pick me up, the universe will shine down in unusual ways. Today it came via a tweet saying I had been nominated for a Kreativ Blogger award by @write_hook. Otherwise known as Scott Morgan, he is an excellent author, blogger, editor and all around - very cool guy (that I've had the privilege of meeting beyond the virtual world of twitter). I appreciate him thinking of me to honor me with this award...just to know someone finds my blog useful/informative/or good for a laugh is okay by me!


Part of being nominated means there are some things you have to do. 1) Share ten random things readers may not know about you and 2) nominate 6 others for the award.


This is hard for me because my life is such an open book, but here we go with random things:
1) One of my first jobs in NYC was cleaning apartments and office buildings. (The strange part was, someone else was cleaning my own apartment...try and make sense of that one!) 
2) I once spent over two hours stalking Barbra Streisand in Central Park. (It paid off: she had a 30 second conversation with me.)
3) I hate being out of control...for that reason, you'll never find me on a water slide in one of those water parks. (Well, I also hit my head on one back in 1990...so that may have something to do with it as well.)
4) My freshman year of high school, I was one of the few that took the challenge to eat dinner blind-folded to see what Helen Keller went through. (Okay...so I was a kiss-up with the teachers too...but I did want to see what it would be like to be blind.)
5) I've always proudly called myself a PC - from the PC/MAC commercial wars...but Apple has invaded my home through iPhone, iPad (and now the Macbook Pro that I'm typing this on) - not sure I can still say PC.
6) I completely suck at math. It was the bane of my existence through school and I still use my fingers to count. (Is that sharing too much?)
7) I was once attacked by a mob of screaming kids and parents on Easter weekend making me feel like Jesus. (I suppose I should also say I was dressed as a Ninja Turtle, had just completed a show and parents were screaming at their kids to 'touch him!' towards the man in the green suit.)
8) When I was a child, I used to drink the pickle juice out of the jar in the fridge when no one was looking. (Let's call that a precursor to my adult years when I now drink olive juice...mixed with vodka of course for a nice dirty martini.)
9) I hate shopping. (I know, I know - as a gay man I'm supposed to enjoy it: but as my sister says "I didn't get THAT gene or the one that says I'm good at decorating.")
10) I can still recall the stairwell at the World Trade Center in NYC as I walked down 98 floors during the '93 bombing (two weeks after I had started a part-time job there: part time that led to a 13 year career.)


I nominate the following people for this award:
1) Arthur Wooten - @arthurwooten Arthur was one of the first authors I met on twitter (after seeing his name everywhere) whose writing I have devoured. He is so helpful, believes in supporting other authors, and is an amazing writer! (He also came to my debut novel book launch in NYC so we could meet in person!)
2) Traci Ford - @GSand1804 Traci is someone I know in real life and not just online. But what I love about her blogging is that she covers so many different topics and is not afraid to speak her mind.  I so admire that.
3) Carey Parrish @careyparrish Carey is a twitter author I met through a string of others who I instantly took a liking to. Not only is his writing delightful, but his blogs and interviews of other authors are truly eye-opening and informative while making people feel so comfortable. A great guy to follow.
4) Alina Oswald @ANO07 Alina was is a writer and a photographer I met on twitter who I noticed kept re-tweeting my tweets. Eventually we started 'talking' more and I found her to be such a kind, cool, supportive person. (You must read her new biography!)
5) Jack Andrew Urquhart @JackAUrquhart Jack is an incredible storyteller, wonderful supporter on twitter, and a blogger who covers so many subjects. Definitely worth the follow!
6) Kergan Edwards-Stout @EdwardsStout Kergan is the most recent twitter friend I've made, but we made an instant connection through our debut novels'  and then our similarities in life. A very giving person who understands what a platform is and how to use social media. 

9 comments:

  1. Okay, can we just give the award to you? You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add: If you haven't yet, you must see Ellen DeGeneres' Here and Now, for all things Pickle claw related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA! You are too funny. And I'm not sure I saw Here & Now. I'll look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the blog award! And if it makes you feel any better, I sucked at math in school and still do too - you're not the only one who uses their fingers to count, LOL! And I also enjoy drinking pickle juice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Sabrina! The secrets come out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gregory, don't like shopping and not good at decorating but an awesome writer. It's a wash. So enjoyed the post and extend to you my congrats on the award. I am new to this biz of blogging but love it so, and respect a good blogger when I see one. I'm looking at him. Dirty martini's cure a lot of ills (so does shopping - just saying) and I'm hoping by now you have someone to clean your house for you. See ya next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tammy! I tend to blog about - well...a little of everything. ;-) Congrats to you as well...that Scott is a great guy who followers some really cool bloggers. (Enjoyed what I read on yours today.)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! On your nomination!

    ReplyDelete