Saturday, January 14, 2012

Observations From Social Media


So I've been following writers, blogs, trends online for a while now and there are a few things I've noticed that I felt like sharing. (The following observations are those of Gregory G. Allen only and do not represent the entire writing world.)

  1. There really is a fine line between annoying people about your book and gently reminding them your book is out there for them to snatch up.
  2. There are some amazing people who love to pay it forward by sharing the word about someone else's book, interview, contest winning - truly wonderful ones who help others network beyond their own regular followers.
  3. People that review or write critiques seem to want to talk about the book THEY would have written instead of the one they read. Now, this isn't true of everyone that writes reviews - but many seem to critique on what it's not rather than what it is.
  4. You don't have to post something new on twitter everyday. It moves so quickly, your tweet quickly is hidden.  Post the same one throughout the day at different times or better yet: re-tweet something of interest someone else has tweeted. (Another way to pay it forward.)
  5. The indie versus traditional fight continues...and it will for time to come as more and more books find their way onto our eReaders. I'm grateful for both worlds (though I will admit: I read more indie books in 2011 than I did traditional published books). Why choose? Enjoy both.
  6. Social media IS a great way to meet those editors and designers that indie authors need to utilize. You can find recommendations from others and really get to know those that could be potential people you plan to work with. A short list: Write Hook - Melanie Votaw - Marilyn Weishaar - Brion Sausser - Vedic Design
  7. There are people who seem to want to play in the indie pool, but secretly want to 'escape'. In this new era of publishing, I'm certain a traditional publisher could offer me a great deal more marketing and getting a huge display of my books on the first table when you walk into Barnes & Noble - but I still prefer the smaller presses that take chances. Tradition has told me what I do isn't playing by the rules. I can't always write the book the big guns want that will sell tons of copies. But what I can do is attempt to touch lives with my quirky and twisted stories...and that's what I'll keep doing until readers have declared they've had enough of my cross-genre writing.

4 comments:

  1. wonderful thoughts, i completely agree! keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I've probably been guilty of that critiquing gaffe in the past -- a nice reminder to curb the habit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Daniel. We all have 'gaffes' now & then...I learn something every day.

      Delete