Monday, January 16, 2012

Where Are You Most Still?

Like most Americans, I have a tough time slowing down. I'm always going (if not physically, than mentally) and moving to the next 'thing'. I love to vacation, but even that takes me a few days to grow accustom to the pace. I've often said the place I feel most at peace is when I cross the bridge going onto Cape Cod and I feel my shoulders relax as I smell the sea air. Something about that place is able to calm me.


This past weekend I attended a book signing of Ilchi Lee for his book The Call of Sedona: Journey of the Heart. Already reading the book, I find myself somewhat jealous of people who can commune with nature and God in such a way they can simply - relax. (It's always seemed to me it's the Hollywood rich folks that can afford to relax.) But as I read his book, I find myself anticipating my spring trip to Sedona more and more. I haven't been there in over 20 years and I was so young at the time, I doubt those rocks were saying anything to me. But I believe this trip to be different. A town that closes down by 9:00 pm, that is truly about finding self and enjoying the beauty of the land - I really think I'm going to enjoy it.


I'm already one that has tried yoga. I believe in acupuncture and know it has helped the headaches I often get...and trust me; my body can scream out to me when it is stressed through headaches, stomach aches, mouth ulcers - you name it: stress punches me from the inside out. So giving myself over to the thought process behind his book shouldn't be too far of a reach for me. 


Something in Lee's book beckons me to find that calmer self in the midst of the chaos. I think all things happen for a reason in our life...at a certain time. Maybe turning 43 in Sedona (yes, we'll be there for my birthday) is what I'm meant to experience. I'm sure there was a reason I set my upcoming book in Arizona (without even knowing why) - a book about a woman's personal journey to patch her life back together as she searches for her 'self' - but perhaps it will all become known to me in a few months.


Now I know what you're thinking: But I'm not going to turn into one of those people who get all out there and start wearing colors based on feelings and setting the furniture in my house a certain way (not that there is anything wrong with that) - but if I can discover a new way of finding peace and sanctuary...I'm all for it.


I look forward to sharing the trip with all when I blog about it in April. And I leave you with this...do you have that place you can retreat to and be still? (And if you don't have to leave your home to find it, my guess is you've already won.)

1 comment:

  1. This was an amazing book. It helps to open your heart & mind to your true essence. It gives you a clear understanding of our energy connection to the Earth and the beauty and potential that lies within our brain. I hope everyone can experience this.

    ReplyDelete