Wednesday, March 7, 2012

And The Winner Is...

Everyone that helped get the word out about Chicken Boy! That's who won. #TeamChickenBoy has been the most supportive group of friends and strangers anyone could ask for since we started the MeeGenius Author Challenge back in November. (I think I actually submitted the manuscript in late September.)


Well, it's all come to an end and Chicken Boy: The Amazing Adventures of a Super Hero with Autism has been named the People's Choice and Grand Prize winner. I'm truly honored to be a small voice in the autism community. For me, that's what this entire endeavor has been about. I'm grateful to MeeGenius for offering authors this platform to get the word out about their books (and I think it was pretty obvious to all, that's exactly what it turned into with 6 weeks of voting over two rounds). The amount of people I've come in contact with that have shared how the book has touched them has meant the world to me.


I've always been one to write about adversity & diversity. I think back to my first children's musical I ever wrote. A Halloween musical about a group of misfit 'monsters' that lived in the basement of this old hotel. Funny that at 14 I was already identifying with those that couldn't find where or how they 'fit' in. I should have known then that bringing that kind of awareness would always be my platform. No matter if I'm writing for children, adults or blogging about the fat guy who's attempting to lose weight. It's what I know and it's what I write.


I hope that others will identify with that story through Chicken Boy. That being labeled "different" isn't always such a bad thing. Not to fear someone who is not exactly like you. And mostly, not to shun them.



Gabe: My Chicken Boy
Now thanks to MeeGenius, you can buy that eBook starting today on their site. And I've already received so many messages about 'when will it be in print' that my promise to all those waiting: I'll do everything in my power to get this book into a print version so that readers have options! (That sounded like a political promise, but let's leave politics out of this.)


Thanks again to everyone! To voters for making me the People's Choice. To MeeGenius for creating this challenge. And to my godson for inspiring me...even when he didn't know he was doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment