Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Is Patience in Your Vocabulary?


I've never been a patient person. 

Ask anyone that knows me. I usually want things to happen right away and will work hard to achieve it. I'm not good at waiting for 'x' to arrive. The sooner - the better.

But something big happened this week. My computer went down for two days. It was as if the end of the world had hit and I couldn't do anything! My to-do list was growing and I knew I had many things to accomplish. It is 2012. We are slaves to technology and when it is not right at our fingertips - we don't know how to react. (Okay...perhaps I shouldn't speak in the universal 'we' - but this is ALL me.) 

But here is where things turned around.

In the past, I would have freaked out. The computer would have ended up against the wall. The stress would have eaten me alive from not being able to get to that technical 'to do'. Large amounts of food would have been consumed as stress drives me to the food pantry.

But I took a deep breath and said "there is nothing I can do about it". And like that...I was able to let it go.

What? Who am? That is not Greg - at all.

I'm not sure where that calmness came from, but I somehow realized it was out of my control and things would occur when they occurred. That small realization was actually very large - like one of those 'ah-ha' moments that Oprah talks about. (I feel like I'm having a few of those lately, so maybe patience was due.)

I'm not saying this new Greg is going to stick or that I'll handle it the same way in the next situation...but for a moment, I felt like I had grown up a little. 

I should since 43 will be knocking on my door in one month.


6 comments:

  1. I have to applaud you on this, because just like you, I am NOT a patient person! I used to be, but now - definitely not so much. When stuff goes wrong, I freak; it takes the voice of reason (which comes in the form of a very, VERY good friend) to talk me down. For some reason I am just no good at accepting that things will get done in their own time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been just like that...something 'clicked' this week - but as I mentioned: I"m not sure it means I'll always be able to have that response. :-)

      Delete
  2. You know, Greg, the older I get, the more patient I've become. Granted, I still have my moments - road rage, an insolent student, that dumb ass Santorum on television - but I've loosened up a bit. Just a couple of days ago I found myself driving home from a neighboring city at rush hour. And you know what? I didn't let it get to me. I didn't even get pissed at the people who cut me off. It was the weirdest thing. I arrived home feeling very calm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great when we can hit that point? :-)

      Delete
  3. Greg,

    This has been the biggest lesson for me since my divorce. There are so many things out of our control and all will happen when and if it is meant to be. Plus, behind every little thing (or great big thing) there is a lesson for us to learn. I'm glad you have learned this lesson, it has helped me deal with some difficult times.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit...it's something constant to work on - but it was nice I was able to experience it (at least once).

      Delete