Thursday, March 8, 2012

Visting Chicken Boy's School

Gabe (C) and some friends.
Today was an amazing day. Not only because it was the 2nd day of learning that MeeGenius has published Chicken Boy: The Amazing Adventures of a Super Hero with Autism and the exciting media blitz has started...but because of a party thrown in a third grade class at Radcliffe Elementary.

Yes, that's the school that will be getting the library of books from MeeGenius and it's where my godson Gabe attends school. He is mainstreamed in a regular class and those kids were the most supportive group of friends through this entire contest. Daily asking his mom about the votes, saying they read the book and voted, and cheering Gabe and his book on all the way. So today the teachers and Gabe's aid threw a celebration party for the winning book. Gabe's mom made the entire class t-shirts with chicken boy's battle cry on it.

How lucky was I that I got to go and witness it?!

I LOVE that Gabe (down left) is into whatever is on his finger.
Smiling third grade faces are the best. All eager to tell you what they thought of your book. All excited to put on their shirts and take photos for the newspaper that had shown up to cover the story. All eating cupcakes and showing such love for my godson...it really moved me. Then I was asked to step up in front of the class and talk about how the story was born on our Wednesday night dinners to Gabe's favorite restaurant and how his sister and I came up with the ideas and I wrote them on a napkin. Their young eyes were glued to me as I spoke (and they had plenty of questions too)!
Cards made for Gabe.

I started doing book signings and readings last fall for my novel, but it's been a while since my audience wasn't even old enough to THINK about driving. But I loved it. I was right back to my past of doing years of children's theater and remembering the honesty a child can give in a simple statement.

"You Inspire all of us"
Yes, Gabe got tired during the photo shoot - but he was a great trooper. And when we left, the teacher gave his mom a stack of cards the kids had made for him congratulating him on the success of his book. We went home and read each card and was so touched by what the children had to say.

I hope I get a chance to talk to much more of our future in these types of events. The budding writers have much to ask and I'm more than happy to share.

A congrats to Gabe and a huge thank you to the third graders at Radcliffe! They helped us win the popular vote - and some awesome MeeGenius books are coming their way!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Greg! I am Todd's wife (Gabe's aide). Congratulations on the success of the book! We heard about the wonderful party at Radcliffe today. Todd is so fond of Gabe and is so happy to be sharing in these happy times with him, Donna, and Natalie. Gabe is so lucky to have such a wonderful godfather, and your love for him is so apparent that it makes Chicken Boy all the more heartwarming! Good luck with the media tour, and we wish you continued success success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love watching "Mr. Todd" with Gabe. He is so awesome with him and is highly talked about in that house. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the big win! What a great opportunity to be able to share with Gabe's class. Way to go, Chicken Boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome, Greg. Congratulations to you and Gabe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob! It's been an exciting couple of days!

      Delete
  4. Greg,

    I just wanted to tell you congratulations on your win of the MeeGenius award! I entered the contest too but unfortunately, was a finalist but I applaud you for all your hard work on winning the people's choice. You and the school you won for must be so proud! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Allyn. It was really a great experience for all of us involved, wasn't it? I was so proud to be able to be this small voice for autism in this market...and will do my best telling everyone about it now that MeeGenius has published it. Thanks again and best wishes to you!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! Thanks for sharing all the pictures with us Greg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! It was a really cool day. (And I'm so thankful to the challenge for introducing me to authors like YOU!)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful experience! Third graders can be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was wonderful. We didn't plan on me speaking, but it sort of lead to that and I was glad it did. They were so great with the questions.

      Delete
  7. This is amazing. You are so in your element. With the kids - the book - Gabe - the cause. Congrats! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arthur. It really takes me back to so much work I've done in my past with children. (And of course my mom and sister have both worked with children most of their adult lives...must be in the blood.) :-)

      Delete
  8. This is completely moving. How cool to have that kind of support!! As frustrating as it can be to work in a school setting sometimes, the best part is to be around all that youth and energy. It really does make my day when the kids are learning, having a blast, and are just being cool! Glad you got to spend that special day with your godson. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean! It makes me appreciate all of my friends that are teacher all the more! (And yes...it was a cool day.)

      Delete