Friday, May 11, 2012

Inspiration from Women

Sometimes it's a mom, an aunt, a female friend - but I am inspired by women all around me...all of the time. There is a certain strength I see in my friends who are moms - juggling in a way that only a mom can. Or those women I know that have persevered through something and come out wiser and stronger on the other side. Again: amazement and awe as I witness what they are capable of accomplishing.

I turned to many of those (in my mind) when I constructed Patchwork of Me. People wondered how a man could write a female story - in the first person no less. Well, I've been surrounded by wonderful women my whole life. I speak to several daily or contact them via social media. I stay in contact with them and learn from them. And yes...even used qualities of some as Sara Butler developed for me. 

Sara is a woman who didn't have the best childhood - but didn't expect a pity party either. She made the best of her life in foster care and learned how to create her own 'family' as needed. She makes mistakes. She's flawed. And she turns to the wrong men. But she doesn't give up. She keeps going (fighting the negative voice in her head) and learns she needs to explore her past to truly let go and create a brilliant future for herself.

The book has been out for almost a month and I'm preparing to do a blog tour the next few months to get it out there to more people. I'm really proud of this story. It's very different from my other works, but hopefully means it can find its way into the hands of women who will appreciate what the character is going through (and the crazy friends that she has). 

So if you've read it: thank you! (Leave a review online so others can learn about it.) If you haven't read it - I hope you will give it a try.

And if you're one of the many, MANY women that have touched my life...I hope you take a look at the acknowledgement page. (I couldn't fit every single name that I knew, so if your name is missing...it doesn't mean I'm not inspired by you - I just ran out of room.)

Enjoy this mother's day weekend. Celebrate the beauty and strength of women!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment