Thursday, May 3, 2012

Talking to Your Younger Self

Greg: early 20s
Imagine for a moment that someone was documenting everything you did during your twenties. If you're like me (in my forties) and some of that time seems like a blur...can you imagine it all coming back to you now? A time when we are coming into our own. Making mistakes. Stepping into the world and deciding our path. 


I may enjoy reading a personal journal from that time to see what that man 20 years ago was thinking, but I'd hate if that same journal made it into the hands of everyone to read.


Yet that is what is happening with the new book coming out next month "Barack Obama: The Story,” by Washington Post reporter David Maraniss. Maraniss has located Obama's then girlfriend Genevieve Cook who (for some reason) kept a journal and letters from the man that had wooed her over 25 years ago. And now has decided to share those letters.


Politics aside (whichever side of the aisle you sit on) - I can't imagine this happening to anyone. (And yet...I do enjoy reading biographies.) But still, this one got me thinking about my own life and if someone had followed me along my early trek in New York City when I first moved here. I've come in contact with some of those people from back then due to social media and they see the changed Greg along with the characteristics that make me who I am. Already being developed at that point in my life.


But going back to Obama. I can only imagine the embarrassing escapades this book will hold. And naturally, it occurs during an election year (so I guess we really can't remove politics from it). 


If you found an old journal (or old girlfriend/boyfriend who decided to do a tell-all and had plenty of letters and photos to go along with it) - what would you say to that younger self?



6 comments:

  1. I would tell my younger self that I was too young (and too selfish) to have a child; that I should have gone to college then; and, that I should have done something professional with my singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great words of wisdom...and hopefully with no regrets. (Now: the question is - is there an old flame out there with stories on you?) :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm not I would say anything. Except to maybe get over some of my hangups over sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But think how much more older Jeff knows and could help that 20-something. :-)

      Delete
  3. Cute pic, Greg :-) Seriously! And yet another delightful post you share with us.

    In an attempt to answer your question... I actually have a journal from way back when, stored together with some older pix (those old fashion B&W ones) to use as raw material for my future... memoir (I talk more about it than actually DO something about it and, yes, a family album is in the works). Anyway... I'd tell my younger self to enjoy life more, not to waste my time planning obsessively for what follows it; I'd tell myself to trust myself more and not waste precious time studying stuff I've never really been into... to trust and follow my instincts more and maybe I'd study something completely different now... anyway. I think I would turn out much better the second time around, but we have one chance in this life, one take only. So, there...

    Your post and question really made me think back (and dig deep)... there's much more I'd like to write, but better save it for that much-talked-about memoir :-)

    Thanks, fascinating post, as always!
    A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your talk with your younger self...and you are always so supportive of the blogs. Thanks so much!

      Delete