Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is Your Book Telling Your Reader?

Have you taken the page 99 test? I see you scratching your head wondering what in the world I'm talking about. We all walk into a bookstore and look at the back of the book, maybe open the 1st page and read it to see if we want to buy the book. Only that 1st page has been edited to DEATH so that you will do just that. So the page 99 test came up so that people can turn to that page instead. Interesting... kitschy...but still cool.

So being the nerd that I am - I tried it on my own books. Well With My Soul has one of my brothers making his big break in that page. He always wanted to be in a Broadway show and on page 99, he is in rehearsal for it. So it plays to the theme of the book. I was thinking "not bad, Greg."

Then I tried Patchwork of Me. Perfect! Page 99, Sara discovers a huge part of her past and why she has the invisible rash.

There is an online site where authors can upload the page for others to read, but for my author friends out there...I say test yourself. Do you find that page interesting? Does it grab you and cause someone to want to buy your book? Is it saying anything of importance to your reader?

Just thought I'd pass along the info and enjoy testing your own books or those books you browse through the next time you go into a store.

 

2 comments: