Monday, July 9, 2012

When Weight Issues Knock: Who Listens?

This blog started with me discussing weight: how I gain it, how I attempt to lose it. And two years later, it is still a constant in my everyday life. I am so envious of people who can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce. Even more envious of those that can push a plate away at the table without finishing the food on it. But that is my lot in life and I've grown to know it is just who I am.

That's not to say I haven't tried many things. NutriSystem has been my 'go to' for a jolt in weight loss. I return to them like an old friend that says "remove that real cookie from your mouth and eat this bar that is packed with protein and will fill you up much more quickly." And for the most part, I've maintained a certain level with them. I still want to get rid of more unwanted fat (and this lovely tire around my waist), but the word exercise sends me running faster than anything...and I don't mean the GOOD running that I know I should be  doing. When it's hot (as the heat wave the Northeast has been experiencing) - my lazy butt prefers the cool comfort of my sofa.

Still...I know I have to constantly work at it or I could be right back where I was two years ago. When my pants start to feel tight now, I don't go and buy a larger size. Instead, I change those eating habits. And honestly for me...it's all about those habits. (Many of them bad.) I am very big on drinking tons of water a day and I know that is a great thing. I've even tried natural supplements (buzz, buzz) to help curb appetites and cause you to drink more. And I watch all the inspirational videos that I can stand.

Like my battle in this area, this blog has no ending. I feel I'm always sort of caught in the middle of it. A constant from which I can't escape. But at least when I feel the squeeze of the pants, I now listen. That's a huge step in a better direction. 

3 comments:

  1. One strategy I used, and still do, is to go upstairs away from the refrigerator and the pantry. I also need to get on my elliptical and lose the spare tire I'm getting. And do my cardio work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find when I'm busy and not around the house, it's not an issue. So you're right...getting AWAY from the food helps. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Agree, too! Exercise does help, as long as I do it on a regular basis. It's easier during the summer. There is no magic pill, just dedication, which I don't always have...

    I noticed that the longer I spend preparing a meal (even if the meal is a juice or a shake :-)) the healthier it is and the less hungry I am. It tastes good, too (to me). (have to confess, I've never been into fast foods but I'm not that much into cooking, either, LOL!)

    Thanks, Greg! As always, a post that makes one think and take notice.

    ReplyDelete