Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chemo Can Bring on New Looks: Mom's Journey Continues

This week my mother got to start back into doing what she loves. Working with kindergarten children. First day of class was Monday and she couldn't wait to get back there to those kids. I honestly feel it is what has kept her so positive as she has dealt with the breast cancer. 

I've been blogging here and here about this road she's been on since her diagnosis in May.

She returns this Friday for her second chemo treatment, but exactly two weeks to the day of the 1st...she started to lose her hair. So now I'll let her share it in her own words:


You can just call me bald and beautiful now. My hair started coming out in hunks overnight. So I decided to cut it and shave my head. It was quite an experience to stand in front of a mirror and watch my hair slowly leave my head. I really expected to be emotional when the hair started to go,but I did not shed a tear. It was actually kind of liberating. I found I did not have any lumps or dips on my head. My head catches every breeze and I like that. I'm trying out different types of head coverings. People have donated a variety of caps (I still don't have a pink sparkle one) and scarfs. I have one wig my son bought me (thank you, Greg) and I plan to buy one more for a backup. They say my hair will start to grow back after my last chemo treatment, so I'm going to be bald for quite a  while. Oh well...at least I don't have to worry about fixing my hair every morning.
That's just the type of attitude and humor she has taken during this entire thing. She called me and informed me I now had a bald mother and even said she looks like my brother (who shaved his head the moment he went into the army). I asked if I could add the photo to this blog that my niece took and my mom was all for it. Her real hair on the left and the wig she bought on the right. Go ahead, you can say it as I know you're thinking it. She looks younger in the wig. :-)


15 comments:

  1. Wow - Mom is quite amazing! My heart breaks reading this - but, I am inspired to be have a positive attitude today! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks beautiful. I admire her positive attitude. Best wishes to her. Good thoughts coming her way.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. She has had a few moments (naturally) of sadness...but for the most part she has her 'to-do' list made and checks it out. Shaving her own head must have been one of them. :-) (Now I know where I get my "must have list at all times" from!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is SO inspiring. Like mother/like son! Huge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother is beautiful both in her new look and inside. She is fighting with a grace that is inspirational.
    I watched my brother lose his hair and the part that bothered him most was when he lost his moustache.
    Like your mother Greg didn't lose his sense of humor and I think it is what helped us deal with his Leukemia.
    Please keep us posted as your mother reaches each of her milestones on her "to-do" list.
    Jodi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jodi! Isn't a sense of humor so important? Mom has tackled this head-on all summer the moment she was diagnosed in May. She's been amazing. :-)

      Delete
  6. Good for your mom. Being positive and having a sense of humour can make all the difference in recovery.

    When my sister started chemo, her beautiful hair hung past her waist. I think I was more upset about it falling out than she was. To her it was just hair. The one missing breast just disease. The only thing that mattered was survival. How right she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Julie. Survival is all that matters.

      (And when mom got home from school yesterday, she said she couldn't wait to take off the wig and sit in the cool and feel the air on her head. She lives in Texas where it is still hot.) :-)

      Delete
  7. Your mom has a great attitude toward what she's going through - and yes, I think she does look younger in the wig! She really looks fantastic (and you can tell her I said so, even though she's never met me LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks fantastic, w and w/o wig! WOW! We need more people like your mom, seriously. I enjoyed reading the post, as always. Her words do give hope and a fresh perspective on things, on everything. Her attitude is contagious, lifts the spirit and prepares you for life--the good, the bad, ugly, challenging and everything else in between.

    BTW, thanks to your mother's mentioning of bright pink scarfs, now that's the only thing I can think of, LOL!

    Thanks for posting and best wishes and much health to your mom from me. I admire her so much! She's not only teaching kindergarten kids, she gives all of us a lesson in life. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet response, Alina! Thank you! Thank you! (You know I have to find her a sparkly pink scarf.) :-)

      Delete
  9. Your mom's attitude and coping skills are an inspiration. I am sure she is quite a blessing to the kids she works with as well!

    ReplyDelete