Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Mother's Journey: Part II


It has been a while since I blogged about my mom and how she is dealing with her breast cancer diagnosis. After the surgery in June, they said they removed all of it and we truly thought she would simply have radiation and be done by summer's end. Well everything seemed to move at a snail's pace. By the time they had her visit with the oncologist, additional tests had come back that studies the probability of return and they believed she needed chemo and radiation.

In the same way she has handled everything, she jumped right in to studying all she could about it. Mostly upset that it was going to take her into the new school year when she is a foster grandparent in the kindergarten class and looks forward to that work every year. I will admit it was a shock to us all that she would need chemo. Somehow, it made it all that much more real to us. And it was all right around her birthday. But it's that strength she continues to show that makes all around her 'pony up' and stand in that same positive place. After all, this is her journey. So here is some more in her own words:

How do you spend your 66th birthday? Well going to the hospital and getting a port put in your chest so you can get chemo treatments to make sure your cancer doesn't come back. Next on the agenda is my first chemo treatment on Friday August 10th. I asked for Friday so I could rest up on the weekend. 

I'm looking forward to going back to a kindergarten class when school starts and I'm hoping I keep enough energy to do that. Staying home all the time is just not something I ever want to do. 

Went shopping for a wig with my daughter, they say bring someone who will tell you the truth. Found one that looks pretty close to my own hair. Thanks to my oldest son for buying that for me. They say my hair will fall out 2 to 3 weeks after treatment starts. Am I ready for that ? Well probably not,but then again I don't have a choice. 

I've had a few emotional times,but I hear that's normal. But I'm still not scared. Just trying to be as ready as I can for whats coming next. I really know I am going to be fine no matter what happens. Bring on the hats. I told my granddaughter I wanted one with sparkles.


Our dear friend is walking a 3 day (60 mile) walk for Breast Cancer in Texas near where my mom lives. She is so close to her goal of the money they need to raise to participate. If you have a moment to look or a dollar to give, every bit helps!




Three-Day Breast Cancer Walk



4 comments:

  1. My co-worker's mom is on her last chemo treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and is just starting to lose her hair. Soon she'll be starting daily radiation treatments, and my co-worker, who lives with her mom, doesn't know what to do because they live in Budd Lake and she has to go to work but she doesn't want her mom making the 3-hour trip to and from each day alone. I feel so bad that I can't help. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different journey for everyone involved - but I do know when mom went to 'chemo class' they spoke of people getting rides to and from treatments. I hope there is someone near your friends mom that can be there for her. Sending good thoughts her way.

      Delete
  2. What a brave woman! She has enough hope to share with others, and also a fantastic sense of humor. Her post is an inspiring one, and she (as is her writing) a powerful source of inspiration.

    Sending warm wishes and thoughts to you and your mom, and look forward to hear/read every step of her journey through recovery.

    Thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate her taking the time to share with me so I can post it. She is such a strong woman (and yes, pretty funny as well). This evening she went out for dinner to have a great meal thinking tomorrow her appetite may not be as good. Thanks for the great thoughts and wishes.

      Delete