Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mom's Cancer Journey

It has been a while since I last blogged about my mother and the chemo treatments she has been going through. She just finished another this past Friday and has been dealing with different things after each one. I'm very grateful that she shares with me about what she is going through and that she allows me to share it on my blog. And I'm most excited that I get to see her next weekend for the first time since June! 

Here she is in her own words:


Well I've just gone through my 5th chemo treatment. Only one more to go. Thought it was time to talk about the head to toe symptoms I've experienced.

Lost hair on head and most of my eyebrows and eyelashes. Butterfly effect on face. Flushing hot. Dries out face. Stomach and bowel issues: constipation and diarrhea.
Lots of fatigue, especially 2 days after treatment. Losing some fingernails. Blood pressure goes up and way down. Blood sugers go crazy on those 3 days I have to take steroids. Have to take insulin on those days. Back pain, leg pain, shoulder and hip pain from Neulasta shot I get after chemo treatment - can last from 3 to 7 days. Emotions go up and down. Lets just say you don't feel very pretty at times. Dries out your body inside and out. Lots of lotion needed. Feet and leg problems from neuropathy, which is caused by meds. Bottom of feet sometimes burn and swell making it hard to walk.

Now for the positive side --Hair, eyebrows and eyelashes will grow back. And I've got some really good wigs. Some people even think the wigs make me look younger. I have not had any mouth sores or any infections (which many people do). Eyes and face will clear up someday. Nails will grow back. I've not had to take any nausea meds. I'll get  these emotions under control. Skin will soften back. My legs and feet will get better after treatments. And I have some really wonderful caring doctors taking care of me.

Most of all, I have a great family and lots of good friends who are supporting me every step of my journey. Also getting to do what I love, working with kindergarteners is helping me get through this phase of my life. Trying to stay as positive as I can and dealing with each issue as it comes up. 

ONLY ONE MORE TREATMENT. And then it's time for my NO MORE CHEMO PARTY. Yeah baby. I got this.

Past blogs on my mom.



2 comments:

  1. She's got such an awesome attitude! Loved reading this. And she's right - things WILL get better. Can't wait to hear about that no more chemo party! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sabrina. I'll be sure and share about that party! ;-)

      Delete