Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Next Big Thing: Discover New Authors & Books!

Blog hops are a great way for people to find new authors. Perhaps read a genre they haven't thought of before. The Next Big Thing is an around-the-world blog hop where authors of all genres tell readers about their next/recent book release in the course of answering 10 questions.  Each author has been tagged by another author to write a blog, and the current author then tags new authors who blog the following week.
I'm excited to be a part of this one and have Jan Moran to thank. Jan I have reviewed each other's last books and I just loved her Scent of Triumph. This woman has such a knack with historical novels...I highly recommend it! 

But now I'm to discuss my upcoming book with a few questions, so here we go!
1) What is the working title of your next book? 
Cool Side of The Pillow
2) Where did the idea come from for the book? 
I started working on this book several years ago when this idea started to percolate in my brain. I love to examine people's lives and place characters in moments where major decisions must be made. When working on this one of a dad attempting to find himself, the more layers would be added as secrets and mystery would bubble up. My background in children's theater also plays a huge part in this book.    

3) What genre does your book fall under? 
This is contemporary fiction.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition? 
I'd be lying to say I haven't seen certain people in my head when I write, but what if this book DOES get made into a movie one day? I don't want to piss off the actor chosen. So I plead the 5th.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 
As Zachery Kleinmann must redefine his life, he meets an eccentric actress who runs a children's theater company and discovers secrets that makes him reevaluate everything as he is pulled down the rabbit hole of her world.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 
The indie publisher ASD Publishing puts out all of my books.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript? 
I started working on this book several years ago. It took a while to get through the first draft. But after numerous edits and beta readers, it's time to let this one out of the bag.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 
Hmmm....I hate the whole comparison question. The book is about a family man. Perhaps Little Children by Perotta or About A Boy by Hornby. An author friend who just finished reading it over the holidays gave me a movie pitch by saying it is a little Grey Gardens mixed with Kramer vs Kramer with a dash of Mickey & Judy singing and dancing in a barn. 

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I'm not a parent, but I've always thought about what it would be like to have that responsibility. And as I've gotten older, my mind always goes to how we define ourselves: parent, our jobs, our talents: what is it? I spent many years working in children's theater and I was drawn to the quirkiness of the documentary Grey Gardens. Somehow the two combined as I started creating the character of Ginger. Plopping my 'dad' down into that world seemed like an intriguing place to create this story. 

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
The book deals with relationships. Long marriages and how they change as we grow. Creating new friendships at different points in our lives. How a man and a woman CAN be friends...or can they? And how does someone who seems to have everything in life still find fulfillment when they are looking at their 40th birthday and feeling they don't have enough to show for it.



I'm tagging the following authors so be sure and check them out next week! All of them are wonderful and should be followed on their blogs and on twitter!

Lori Stephens A novelist, a university lecturer, and a DIY addict.

Alina Oswald An author, photographer and reviewer.

Carey Parrish Author and blogger.

Benjamin Wretlind The author that opened my eyes to a new world.


No comments:

Post a Comment