Monday, February 18, 2013

What Makes An Author Smile

I said it before and I'll say it again: writing is lonely.

You are stuck inside your own mind for so long with nothing but your characters to talk to you. You create their world, their wants and desires, and their obstacles. Once the book is out there and people finally get a chance to read it, many times you've moved on to another project.

But I beg my fellow writers: stop and listen to your readers.

I know, I know...write for yourself. But why not enjoy the fruits of your labor once in a while. Nothing makes me happier than to hear from a reader how much my characters speak to them. To get in a dialogue with someone deep into the book and they talk about MY people like they are real. 

It literally makes it all worth while.

And let's face it. As an indie author, I'm not topping the charts of the NY Times or selling thousands of copies to readers around the world. It's touching individuals who relate to my situations and feel the need to write that in a review or in a private message to me. That I've touched a life? ..... Gold.  

This too should be repeated....the writers behind the little musical that could [title of show] knew of what they spoke when they wrote the lyric:

I’d rather be nine people’s favorite thing
Than a hundred people’s ninth favorite thing.


I love my 'nine people'. They make me smile each time I write a new book and they can't wait to tell me their thoughts.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Gregory,

    What you've written here translates to how I feel about blogging. I've heard a lot of people repeat "write for yourself" as if it were a mantra, but I've never seen it that way. "Write of yourself" -- I can get with that ideal much more easily. I think that feedback frees us from the loneliness of writing you describe. The feedback doesn't even need to be validation or praise, it just needs to be real. It just has to communicate the following: "I hear you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! Sometimes we just write and write and send it out in the world...but to know even a few are reading/listening, somehow makes it better. :-) Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete