Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fate Found in Sedona

Do you believe in fate?

A year ago I went to Sedona for my birthday. My book was launching that same day and I needed a chance to regroup, rethink, recharge. Everyone had said Sedona was the place for
that and they were so correct.

While there we saw signs for the film Sedona all over and I knew I wanted to see it. But came home, forgot to look it up and it passed from my mind. Sometimes that little thing called fate plays a part in what happens in our life and because of a certain social site - I was up this morning watching the film on iTunes.

Exactly what I needed.

A year later and my life has gone in many directions since then, but it feels like time to regroup and take stock again as my birthday approaches. This wonderful film made me think of all of that and more. It not only captures that town so beautifully, but is all about destiny and how certain people come into our lives at the right moment (and oddly enough - birthdays play a significant point in the story). I found filmmaker Tommy Stovall to have such a great eye for both creating a gift to the town in which he resides and for telling a story that pulls in audiences with a mix of comedy and drama. Full of quirky characters that are not always found in standard Hollywood films - this film captured the essence of the vortexes of Sedona, the craziness that some feel about the people that live there, and kudos for showing a gay couple that completely plays against stereotypes. The film intertwines the lives of two very driven strangers and follows them in the course of one day.  Actors we recognize such as Francis Fisher, Seth Peterson, Beth Grant, Christopher Atkins make up this fine ensemble cast (which was also another coup for a indie director). I also really love the tone of the film: how it rides the line while dealing with some dramatic situations and yet keeping it light because life is not always black or white when it comes to drama and comedy.

A good film stays with you and causes you to think. I've been lost in my head for a while lately, but this one really added on additional layers about doing what makes you happy. Not allowing those we love to get lost in our lives. And honestly believing that things happen for a reason. As a writer and someone who has been in the entertainment industry in some capacity for many years, lately my mind has gone more and more to film: how my novels would translate into this medium. 

Tommy Stovall
Seeing films like Sedona renews that dream as I witness others living out theirs. And I don't simply mean the story we see on the screen. I mean the one behind the camera with filmmaker Tommy Stovall. A man who (while getting his degree in film at the University of Texas) started his own production company and worked in that industry all through college. Who went on to challenge himself in the middle of a very competitive field and raised the funds to produce his first film in 2005 and then did it again with Sedona in 2011. 

Hats off to, Mr. Stovall for living his dream. And for making a really great film that not only inspired me this morning while watching it - but makes me want to return to Sedona again.

So DO you believe in fate? 

After watching "Sedona" ... you just might.


8 comments:

  1. I must say I skimmed through the second half of this because I didn't want to know any more about the film. Downloading it now. Interestingly enough, I'm currently working a story that begins in Sedona. Another coincidence....or fate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Rick! (And you know me: I never give away spoilers about the story when I talk about something.) :-)

      Delete
  2. We've seen the movie a number of times. It never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that it continues to find audiences a year later too. That is what I love about films like this: people sharing with others they should watch it and then being pleasantly surprised. (I'm sure I'll watch again too...but first, going to watch Stovall's debut film HATE CRIME.)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it is right up my alley, I'll check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, you would also like this director's first film HATE CRIME. Look it up too. :)

      Delete
  4. I just watched it and LOVED it. Of course I had to keep wiping away the tears during the last twenty or so minutes. Amazing story and film making. And I always love to watch Frances Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, Rick! (I felt the same way.) You should look up his HATE CRIME as well. That one REALLY pulled the tears from my eyes. ;-)

      Delete