Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thoughts on Aging

When I was a kid, I remember my grandfather showing me a hand full of pills he would take each morning. Recently, I got into a talk with some friends and we were comparing blood pressure, cholesterol and various other medicines we take.

We were officially old.

When it comes to health and the body...aging simply sucks.

About 15 years ago, I lost a great amount of weight and did it in a short amount of time. Now, my body laughs at me for attempting to lose a pound a week.

I got up off the sofa a few night's ago and my other half asked if I farted. Nope. It was my knees cracking.

And then there is family history. My father had his first heart attack at 49 and died ten years later from heart disease. Two weeks ago I had two different friends only a few years older than me have heart attacks. I'm a neurotic mess about my heart because of it. Actually ending up in the ER occasionally thinking I was having one (and yes, that just occurred again recently). Each EKG, stress test, etc says my heart is fine.

And yet, my body knows when something is wrong. Doctors may say everything is okay (and I'm thrilled to know it's not my heart), but something is definitely going on. Turns out while I was busy blaming my dad for his genes, I think it may be my mother's side of the family playing a part. Several of them have found themselves in the hospital (thinking they were having a heart attack) and instead told they have inflammation of the chest. Not to self diagnose, but some online research brings up words like costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome and I am happy to find others with that issue and not believe I must be crazy due to the elephant sitting on my chest when doctors say I am fine.

The lesson: aging may suck, but listen to your body. It's been with you a long time and can speak to your health often times better than those living outside of it attempting to place a label on it.






2 comments:

  1. So true, Greg. Listen to your body. I never thought about having a heart attack in my life, but it happened to me and now I'm adjusting to the new things that I need to do to prevent another one. Perhaps I should have been better to myself before this, but listening to my body has helped me avoid issues on more than one occasion. I also encourage everyone to let your body be your compass in health matters; it knows you better than you do ;-)

    ReplyDelete