Friday, January 10, 2014

Procrastination Can Often Be My Middle Name

Sometimes we put off things for several reasons. Time constraints, fear, money. Last January my doctor wanted me to have a sleep study. The doctor I had previously to him told me over a year ago that he thought I had sleep apnea. But I just didn't want to think about wearing that machine to bed to help me breathe. Instead -  I thought - I'll work on getting my weight back down.

Well, a year went by and I didn't get the weight down. But I've also learned that while weight can play a role, there are many skinny people that suffer from sleep apnea as well. Bottom line, I know I need to get better sleep at night. It always takes me forever to get to sleep and when I do, I sleep so lightly that the smallest of noise can wake me (not to mention my own snoring which can jolt me awake).

So I finally had the sleep test done in December. Much apprehension, but I showed up not knowing what to expect. Would a team of people be staring at me via a huge window while I attempted to sleep? What if I talk in my sleep? Fart? All of those thoughts flooded my mind as I showed up at 8:00 pm to start the study. I was ushered into a very nice looking hotel room with a camera. Told to go into my private bathroom where there was no camera to prepare for bed. The TV in my room didn't work and I thought that was best as TV is one of the evils that keeps me awake. Well, they ended up fixing it and I watched some Christmas specials while the tech hooked me up. And I mean HOOK ME! 

I knew there would be wires involved, but I had no idea the amount. Legs, chest, head, face, bands around your stomach and chest, wires under your nose to check oxygen going in nose and mouth - and tons of tape. Everything is taped to you. All you can think is "how the heck are they ever going to witness me sleeping as there is no way it's going to happen."

Interesting side note: here I was at a place to study sleep patterns, problems and everyone that works there basically has their own issues as they are up all night and sleeping during the day. So in order for people like me to be helped - there are others that have to mess with their own sleep habits. I applaud them for what they do.

The air we need while sleeping 
Back to the bed - it was 10:30, I took a sleeping pill and climbed into the bed. Shockingly, I was turning the TV off 15 minutes later and was out. Sleep had begun. The tech only came in twice during the night with his little flashlight to fix a wire that had come undone during my evening of tossing and turning. I did check a clock around 2:00 am and thought I had been sleeping forever by then. The next time I woke up it was 6:00 am and I knew they would be coming in to wake me any moment.

Using Provent
So now we are in a new year and I went back to the doctor this past Monday to get my results. As expected: a mild case of sleep apnea. (Mild means I stop breathing around 9 times an hour during the night when on my side: on my back it's more like 50...MILD??) But thankfully, we're not slapping that machine to my face. No, instead we're going to try Provent Therapy for the next month which is a natural way to get air flowing back into your body. I tried my first night plugging the buggers into my nose and let's just say...it's gonna take some getting used to. 
Provent: up close & personal

Still - for health reasons, it is best I take care of this all now. But if there is something you are putting off - for whatever reason...just go ahead and put it on your schedule to get it done. In the long run, you'll be glad that you did.





7 comments:

  1. I got diagnosed last December. Interestingly enough, I adapted to CPAP machine right away. I've never slept better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more way that you and I are on parallel lives, Rick! I've heard that many can do the CPAP machine. I'm gonna see how these little things work out.

      Delete
  2. Sounds as an option for me; I want to go to the sleep clinic eventually as I never know if is my sinus or allergies that are creating an impossible dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely take the time to look into it!

      Delete
    2. I will, I am trying to find a sleep clinic that is close to my house; albeit I tend to see sometimes procrastination as a way to improve some of the work.

      Delete
  3. Yes, procrastination can cause problems. And you make a good point in taking care of health related issues ASAP. I just read a post of a Facebook writer friend who also wished he hadn't postponed getting his health checked. He's fine, just wishes he'd done it sooner. It seems it's human nature. Thanks for sharing, Greg!!

    ReplyDelete