Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Endings & New Beginnings

If you follow this blog, you know I'm not one to shy away from change. Moving out of our comfort zone at times can be thrilling. Trying something new. Setting a goal and going for it. I've tried to live this way in many areas and so much can be pointed back to 2006 when I left Corporate America to manage a theater at a college campus. Being there sparked my creative juices in a new way. My writing took off. I pushed myself into new areas. But I was also doing something I love by managing that space. Meeting amazing artists that would come through our doors. Gaining new arts partners with a common vision to turn that town into an arts destination. Seeing thousands of patrons walking through the doors and leaving touched by the experience of live performances. Truly happy with all we've accomplished in the past seven and 1/2 years.

Today is my last day at that job. Yes…I can't be like everyone else, I leave in the middle of the week! (Joking: I'm actually driving to Penn State to watch my niece graduate at the end of this week so that's why it's a Wed.) There are always such mixed feelings when something ends. You might have made the decision to leave, but there can be fear and sadness when leaving. You'll miss those co-workers/friends you have made. The route your car is used to taking to arrive at your daily job. The comfort of knowing everything and everyone needed to accomplish your job. And there is that time from when you gave notice to the last day that feels like a land of limbo with a 'do I belong here' each day. 

But that all ends now. I go in and say my goodbyes to those people. I bid farewell to the ghost that lives in our theater. I feel grateful for the experience and what it has done for me creatively. I've had a wonderful staff that not only shared my vision for the arts center, but who I will definitely miss. And I leave with the knowledge that the center will thrive as they head into next season - still bringing wonderful productions to the community. 

And I prepare for the next leap in my journey. All coming soon. Full of excitement and newness. Yes, an ending does mean something else begins.  And by next week, today's feelings will be replaced by brand new ones.




Thank you to WAC, Bloomfield College, and all those amazing arts partners for almost 8 years of great times.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Greg! The college, community and your arts partners have been enriched by having the opportunity to work with you. We will most certainly miss you, but look forward to hearing about all of your new adventures. Onward! -Gwen and all your friends at 4th Wall Theatre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you so much, Gwen! Can't ever thank you enough…for everything.

      Delete
  2. ....because I knew you, I have been changed for good....!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY make me cry at the end of the day?? Love you.

      Delete