Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Taking The Stage - Alone



I'm always so impressed with people that can get up and do a one-person show. Cabaret artist do it. They take us away in song strung together with patter/stories and entertain us for an hour to 90 minutes. I've seen plays that may be based on real people, Tea For Three and even Audra's award-winning performance as Billie Holiday. Then there are those that the person performing is taking us on a journey of their one story. Bill Bowers. Man 1: Bank 0. Each of them showing their venerability through laughter and sometimes tears.

Tonight I got to witness the first preview of The Lion - an American Premiere musical at City Center presented by Manhattan Theatre Club. And while it's not opening and I shouldn't 'review' this new work - I just want to say: go see this limited engagement.

I had no idea what to expect. I knew it was a one man show. I knew he was playing his guitar. That's all I knew. Benjamin Scheuer has truly shown us his soul in both words and music. He takes us on the journey of love, loss..of life and he plays - and plays - and man, can this man strum a guitar. Pathos. Pain. Incredible beauty. 

As a reader and a publisher, I am drawn to memoir. I love to see what makes someone tick. Why they are the way they are and especially what they have learned from an experience. I always want a 'take--away' at the end of the chapter, and Mr. Scheuer gave an amazing take away tonight.

Thank you for sharing it and as always, thanks to MTC for presenting such wonderful works.

No comments:

Post a Comment