Sunday, July 20, 2014

Celebrating Creativity

I am embarrassed to say that I didn't know who filmmaker Robert Bresson was, but after seeing this quote of his yesterday I did my due diligence. I can't help but wonder if with all the films he made, being called one of France's leading filmmakers - if he ever had a clue a simple sentence he would say could touch generations to come.

It is wonderful to find inspiration in unlikely places. I know many that can't stand social media, but I'll see a tweet or a status update and feel as if I've been hit on the head. Lately, my creativity has taken a turn upward (yes, it comes in spurts) and I'm loving the place I've been living in this summer. Some may think it's living in my mind - but heck, I'm fine staying in there with my thoughts. If I'm not creating something, I feel empty. I often wish I could just enjoy life, but my brain is wired differently.

Friday night, I heard the creators behind [title of show] talk about their creative process. And the biggest thing that stuck with me was when Susan Blackwell said there isn't this group of people sitting in some room that get to create everything - like some special club that the rest of us are not invited to. We all have that right. You believe in it? Do it! You have an idea to make something happen? Do it! That is so true for many things in life…and you really never know who else is watching YOU, and drawing inspiration from what you are achieving.

Like Robert Bresson deciding to use untrained actors in his films and attacking his art in a certain way, who knew a simple sentence would touch this American so profoundly? And as many things as I've done in my life, I would never have thought a story on a napkin about a little superhero with autism would offer me the opportunity to speak to as many people as I have had the pleasure. We never know what impact we will make…so live and see what happens.

Today is all about celebrating those people in my life that I see living this way every day. There are too many for me to name them all here, but they know who they are and how they inspire me. To each of you, I say thank you for living your life in such a way that makes others stand up and take notice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment