Saturday, April 25, 2015

FilmFest in My Own Backyard


What a great morning I had! Last week I received an unexpected email from a member of the Passaic County Film Commission wishing me well at the Boston Film Festival. I can't believe I didn't know the county that I live in has a film commission let alone their 11th year of producing a film festival. The festival is made up of high school students, college students and indie filmmakers showing shorts, documentaries, PSAs, and music videos.

I thought I had missed the day, but luckily made it to the Fabian Cinema where the entire festival was top notch from top to bottom. The way the staff ran it all making people feel welcomed with pins and t-shirts, the greetings from the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders, the wonderful turnout of families and film enthusiasts, and the amazing talent…especially from young budding filmmakers.



The entire festival was full of talent, but there were a few that stood out to me in each category among the high school students: 


LaFortuna by Sam Applebaum (documentary) Wayne Hills High School.  
Discover Learn Live by Evan Quintero, Brianne Remy, Erin Van Lenten, Caitlin Duffy (Music Video) from Eastern Christian High School
Highbeams by Reid Hensen (short films) Wayne Valley High School

One With Wifi by Frankie Lagana (short films) West Milford High School

Many wonderful PSAs (I actually learned about the Move Over America law from Matthew Romano from Passaic County Technical Institute as it never occurred to me you have to switch lanes when passing an emergency or police vehicle on the shoulder)

I had to run before the awards were handed out, so I look forward to checking their website on Monday to see who took the prizes.

Thanks to Carl "Doc" Burrows for the email this week letting me know about the festival and a huge thanks to everyone involved who brought this wonderful FREE Festival to New Jersey.


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful videos. Didn't get to attend bus I have a friend that judged and i got to view the films. One with WiFi and the Think Again very very creative. Loved Discover learn live as well (my favorite) and the box seemed like it took long hours to create. My favorite year of films for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read that THE BOX took 1st place in its category too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great budding filmmakers coming out of Passaic County!

      Delete
  2. Sam Applebaum, my very talented student, won 1st place with La Fortuna!
    I had such a great time viewing the films, great job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for him! That is great. Congrats to him.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking Eastern Christian's Discover/Learn/Live video. We are very proud of our talented art students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I loved it. And congrats on the win too.

      Delete