Wednesday, June 3, 2015

It's Tony Awards Time


It's awards time in New York and theater is being honored for what they've given us this past season. As we head towards the Tonys on Sunday night, I wanted to share my predictions/thoughts and link to a few past reviews of some of the shows. 


My Thought: An American in Paris (But Fun Home might slide in there and take it.)

BEST PLAY
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Disgraced
Hand to God
Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two

My Thought: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time


BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
The King and I
On the Town
On the Twentieth Century

My Thought: It would be great to see On The Twentieth Century recognized in this category, but I think it will be handed to one of the others.

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
The Elephant Man
Skylight
This Is Our Youth
You Can’t Take It With You

My Thought: I enjoyed The Elephant Man, but I have a feeling it's You Can't Take It With You's year.

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Michael Cerveris, Fun Home
Robert Fairchild, An American in Paris
Brian d’Arcy James, Something Rotten!
Ken Watanabe, The King and I
Tony Yazbeck, On the Town

My Thought: Tough category as I like many of these men. I want Robert Fairchild, but voters may lean towards Cerveris.

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY
Steven Boyer, Hand to God
Bradley Cooper, The Elephant Man
Ben Miles, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
Bill Nighy, Skylight
Alex Sharp, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

My Thought: My favorite male performance this year was Jake Gyllenhaal in Constellations, but I'm going with Alex Sharp on this one. Great performance!

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Kristin Chenoweth, On the Twentieth Century
Leanne Cope, An American in Paris
Beth Malone, Fun Home
Kelli O’Hara, The King and I
Chita Rivera, The Visit

My Thought: I saw them all except Kelli O'Hara and it has to be Kristin Chenoweth. She is amazing in this role.


BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Geneva Carr, Hand to God
Helen Mirren, The Audience
Elisabeth Moss, The Heidi Chronicles
Carey Mulligan, Skylight
Ruth Wilson, Constellations

My Thought: I really want Ruth Wilson to win, but I won't be upset if Helen Mirren takes it. Both were wonderful.

FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Christian Borle, Something Rotten!
Andy Karl, On the Twentieth Century
Brad Oscar, Something Rotten!
Brandon Uranowitz, An American in Paris
Max von Essen, An American in Paris

My Thought: This is the hardest category for me as I have many favorites. I think Andy Karl just barely edges out Max von Essen for me (but I have a feeling voters will go for Borle).

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Victoria Clarke, Gigi
Judy Kuhn, Fun Home
Sydney Lucas, Fun Home
Ruthie Ann Miles, The King and I
Emily Skeggs, Fun Home

My Thought: Sydney Lucas. That little girl has grown up the past few years in this role and she owns it.

FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
Matthew Beard, Skylight
K. Todd Freeman, Airline Highway
Richard McCabe, The Audience
Alessandro Nivola, The Elephant Man
Nathaniel Parker, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
Micah Stock, It’s Only a Play

My Thought: I want K. Todd Freeman, but I bet Micah Stock gets it (which from what I hear would be a good thing).

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Annaleigh Ashford, You Can’t Take It With You
Patricia Clarkson, The Elephant Man
Lydia Leonard, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
Sarah Stiles, Hand to God
Julie White, Airline Highway

My Thought: Julie White is my choice. She took what could have been a stock character and added so much more.

BEST DIRECTION OF A MUSICAL
Sam Gold, Fun Home
Casey Nicholaw, Something Rotten!
John Rando, On the Town
Bartlett Sher, The King and I
Christopher Wheeldon, An American in Paris 

My Thought: He's not the favorite to win, but I'd go with Casey Nicolaw for this one.


BEST DIRECTION OF A PLAY

Stephen Daldry, Skylight
Marianne Elliott, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Scott Ellis, You Can’t Take It with You
Jeremy Herrin, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
Moritz von Stuelpnagel, Hand to God

My Thought: Marianne Elliot. Wow.


BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
Craig Lucas, An American in Paris
Lisa Kron, Fun Home
Karey Kirkpatrick and John O’Farrell, Something Rotten!
Terence McNally, The Visit

My Thought: I actually prefer the book to Something Rotten!, but I think it's Lisa Kron's year.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron, Fun Home
Sting, The Last Ship
Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick, Something Rotten!
John Kander and Fred Ebb, The Visit

My Thought: Finding Neverland should have been in this category over some of these others, but while I would probably go with Something Rotten! (which is so not like me to pick comedy over drama), I think it will be Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron.

BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A PLAY

Bunny Christie and Finn Ross, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bob Crowley, Skylight
Christopher Oram, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
David Rockwell, You Can’t Take It with You

My Thought: Curious Incident... offers something new and fresh.

BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A MUSICAL
Bob Crowley and 59 Productions, An American in Paris
David Rockwell, On the Twentieth Century
Michael Yeargan, The King and I
David Zinn, Fun Home

My Thought: LOVE what Bob Crowley & 59 Productions did with An American in Paris.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A PLAY
Bob Crowley, The Audience
Jane Greenwood, You Can’t Take It with You
Christopher Oram, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
David Zinn, Airline Highway

My Thought: Again, Bob Crowley showing such attention to detail as the years change in The Audience.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A MUSICAL
Gregg Barnes, Something Rotten!
Bob Crowley, An American in Paris
William Ivey Long, On the Twentieth Century
Catherine Zuber, The King and I

My Thought: I like them all! But just so I don't say Bob Crowley again, I'll go with William Ivey Long.

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A PLAY
Paule Constable, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Paule Constable and David Plater, Wolf Hall: Parts One & Two
Natasha Katz, Skylight
Japhy Weideman, Airline Highway

My Thought: Paule Constable for Curious Incident... The technical aspects in this show really added to everything about it.

BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A MUSICAL
Donald Holder, The King and I
Natasha Katz, An American in Paris
Ben Stanton, Fun Home
Japhy Weideman, The Visit

My Thought: Torn between Paris & the Visit. I'm happy with either of them taking it, but I think Natasha Katz may edge out others.

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY
Joshua Bergasse, On The Town
Christopher Gattelli, The King & I
Scott Graham & Steven Hoggett for Frantic Assembly, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Casey Nicholaw, Something Rotten! 
Christopher Wheeldon, An American in Paris

My Thought: Hand it over to Christopher Wheeldon now. He has brought dance back to Broadway in a BIG way!

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS
Christopher Austin, Don Sebesky, Bill Elliott, An American in Paris
John Clancy, Fun Home
Larry Hochman, Something Rotten!
Rob Mathes, The Last Ship

My Thought: An American in Paris - that score, those songs - those orchestrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment