Thursday, December 17, 2015

Best of New York City Theater 2015

It's that time of year where I like to share my thoughts on some of the best shows/moments I saw in New York this year (in no particular order). So here we go!

I'm a huge fan of Manhattan Theater Club and they started the year off with a bang for me with Constellations. It offered two of the best performances of the season by Jake Gyllenhaal and Ruth Wilson

The Fiasco Theater teamed up with The Roundabout Theatre to take us deep into the woods with an amazing production of Sondheim's Into the Woods. What a joy this was to see it stripped down with an incredible ensemble (and the first time I saw Jennifer Mudge on stage)!

Christina Bianco was AMAZING in Application Pending which played off-Broadway and had this very talented woman playing 40+ characters. (I can't WAIT to see her in The Rise and Fall of Little Voice in 16-17.) 

Fun Home found its way up town this season (and right into Tony winning history) and while I had issues with it downtown, it completely captivated me on Broadway.

The critics and Tony voters may have had no love for Finding Neverland, but the show is still running and it got me in the heart!

Speaking of my heart, I saw An American in Paris while visiting Paris last Christmas break and found it completely engaging and beautiful when it moved tot he Palace Theater in NYC. Captivated by the romance! 

Last spring, I was on the 2nd row of the Public Theater to experience Hamilton and bought into all of the hype thrown on this show. I've yet to get back to see it on Broadway, but if you can...GO!

I can honestly say I didn't expect to like Something Rotten as much as I did, but man-  what a fun show this is! If you want a silly yet clever night at the theater, this show is for you!

My favorite onstage couple would probably have to go to Jennifer Mudge and Kelly AuCoin in Of Good Stock presented by Manhattan Theatre Club. The two of them gave us a true marriage on stage with all of the love, angst, and 'dance' that couples must do. 

One of my favorite actors was back off-Broadway in The Qualms at Playwrights Horizons. Jeremy Shamos is wonderful in anything he does: stage, TV, film. The man jumps into a role and makes us belief his journey...completely! 

Sometimes the most amazing works are presented WAY off-Broadway, which was the case with SeaWife presented by Naked Angels at the South Street Seaport. This was more than a musical - it was an experience. 

I missed Spring Awakening the first time it came to Broadway, but lucky for me, I was able to see the incredibly moving production presented by Deaf West Theatre.

My favorite Broadway play of the season was set in the future with a nod to the past: King Charles III. What an intriguing evening of theater!

I can't wait to see what 2016 has in store!


No comments:

Post a Comment