Tuesday, April 26, 2016

End of April Politics

Another super Tuesday down and this presidential race in America continues to get crazier and crazier everyday. We woke Monday to two republicans creating a Survivor-type alliance to vote Trump off the Republican Island. It doesn't seem to be working since he swept 5 states.

But then Trump goes on TV and says Bernie Sanders should run as an independent. Trump is not a stupid man. He wants votes to be split because his main objective is to win - no matter the cost.

I think the real interesting part in all of this is that the two candidates that wanted to start a revolution really don't fall into the party in which they are running. Both complain about their parties, feel the party is against them, think the elections are rigged, and yet have gotten more publicity by running IN those parties than had they stayed independent right out of the gate. Neither would have gotten the media attention they did had they stayed true to their political roots. Yet it will be a true sham if either decides to run independently (if they do not get the nomination in their party). And honestly - I wouldn't put it past either one of them to do just that. They will have used their party as a jumpstart and then jump ship. I can feel it coming. 

IF the GOP goes against Trump at the convention even though he has the most votes, he'll put himself on the ticket as an indie. Sanders said today that he will do whatever it takes to make sure Trump isn't the president - but never said he'd back the democratic nominee. Instead, that sounded a little like "I'll cause my own revolution and go rogue." I guess we have to wait until summer to see how it all plays out, but this has been the wildest election season I can recall. Less politics, more American Idol. Less about credentials, more about popularity.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a little frightened by it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment