Monday, February 20, 2017

Oscar Picks

I've titled this Oscar picks as they are who I WANT to win - not who I think the Academy will end up choosing. First, I want to start by saying that yes: I am a huge fan of musical theater. So it may surprise people to find that I'm not on the La La Land bus this season. I thought the movie had great moments with beautiful filming and great cinematic choices. The leads were adorable and impressive in what they could do in a musical. That said - I don't feel it deserves the accolades it has been getting this season. Perhaps people just want to be uplifted this year, but for me - there were other performances and films that are more deserving.

So without saying anymore, here are my choices for the upcoming Oscar Ceremony.

BEST PICTURE



Lion & Moonlight are my two favorites

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE



I really thought I was going to say Denzel, but then I saw Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge and I was captivated by his performance. (Side Note: I wish Joel Egerton from Loving would have been in this category over a few of the others.)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE



Natalie Portman disappeared into the role of Jackie Kennedy. Would love to see her win.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE


I grew up with Texan men like the character Jeff Bridges plays in Hell or High Water. Never saw him acting.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE


Viola, Viola, Viola Davis for Fences.

CINEMATOGRAPHY



Here is where I would award what is great about La La Land.

COSTUME DESIGN


Florence Foster Jenkins transports us to a time period that I love!

DIRECTING


I found Moonlight amazing and what Barry Jenkins was able to do with the script - told in 3 parts - was moving and exceptional in its simplicity.

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)


If you haven't watched 13th yet on NETFLIX, you should.

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)


I can't get that La La Land theme out of my head.

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)


I believe a song shouldn't only be a great song, but one that gets in your mind and you can't let go of. There was a reason Can't Stop the Feeling! was the song of the summer!

PRODUCTION DESIGN


I'm torn between Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them or Passengers - both very different designs that took me away.

SOUND EDITING & SOUND MIXING


Some very interesting sound was going on in Arrival and I think the film should be awarded for that.

VISUAL EFFECTS


There are so many choices, but I was blown away by Doctor Strange.

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)


I really loved Hidden Figures and want to see it awarded for bringing us such a wonderful story.

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)


I know Hell or High Water is not the popular choice, but I haven't felt for the bank robbers this much since I saw Kevin Costner in A Perfect World in '93. (Watch THAT movie if you get a chance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment